Remember the days of spreading out a board game in your grandparents’ basement rec room? Or staying up late with your friends playing card games and eating junk food? Those days don’t have to end just because you’re a grownup. (Except maybe the 1970s orange carpet in your grandparents’ basement.)
Games are so popular right now that many bars and coffee shops encourage players to sit and drink while they pull out a board game or a deck of cards. Some cafés have games to borrow while others encourage you to bring your own.
Strategy games for teens and families have evolved over the years, offering hundreds of new campaigns and conquests to share with your children while being entertaining enough for a kid-free time as well. From scheming with an army of unicorns to saving the world from a pandemic, these aren’t the games from your childhood. But they’ll bring back all the fun of those days.
Make sure you have some of these games on hand to turn a quiet night in or a lazy Sunday afternoon into a creepy haunted adventure or a bustling Renaissance marketplace. These family-friendly games great for when you want to unplug and spend some time together.
Betrayal At House On The Hill
$29.89 in stock
3 used from $ 21.47
- For 3 to 6 players
- 60 minutes of play time
- Designed for 3-6 players aged 12 and up
- Cooperative game
Betrayal at the House on the Hill is part board game that relies on luck and part strategy game that requires you keep to your wits. This game of horror and strategy has over 50 scenarios that change with every game, so it’s never the same game twice. Award winning and full of suspense, Betrayal at the House on the Hill comes with character cards, painted plastic figures, and special tokens. For ages 12 and older, it’s challenging enough to hold your interest without being too difficult to learn.
$32.97 in stock
- Ages 10 and up
- Number of Players: 2 to 4
- Game Time: 30 minutes
- Challenging economic theme
- Includes: 40 gems-'poker style' weighted tokens: 7 × 5 colors (green, blue, red, white, black) + 5 jokers (yellow)/ 90 development cards (63.5×88mm): 40 level 1, 30 level 2, 20 level 3 / 10 noble tiles (60×60mm)
In Splendor, you’re a wealthy European Renaissance merchant discovering a new economy. In this competitive strategy game the goal is to become the wealthiest merchant by taking control of the trade routes between gemstone mines and marketplaces. You must attract the richest patrons to purchase your gemstones and jewelry. Splendor is steeped in historic detail, with noble patrons including Henry VIII and Queen Isabella of Spain, and beautifully designed pieces featuring brilliant gem tokens. Streamlined instructions make it easy for children to learn yet the game is challenging enough for adult players to enjoy as well. This thrilling game of economic interests is recommended for ages 10 and older.
$23.99 in stock
2 used from $ 23.51
- For 2-4 Players
- 60 minute playing time
- Updated version of the popular co-operative game
It’s up to you and your team to save the world from deadly illnesses. Pandemic is a cooperative game that requires teamwork to keep four major diseases from spreading and to find cures for them. Move between hotspots around the world to research and track the diseases. Eye-catching game pieces as boldly colored as warning signs help you keep track of the danger. This edition includes access to free scenarios for Pandemic: Government Shutdown and Isolation as well. In the game of Pandemic, everyone must work together. You either all win, or you all die. It is recommended for ages 8 and older.
Days of Wonder Ticket To Ride
$43.98 in stock
- For 2-5 players
- Tons of replay value
- One of the most popular specialty games of all time
- Takes 30-60 minutes to play
- There are 225 Colored Train Cars
Take a cross-country train ride without leaving your home in Ticket to Ride, a Days of Wonder game. It’s 1900 and you’ve accepted a proposition to see who among your friends can visit the most U.S. cities by train in seven days. With a million-dollar prize at stake, the gamble is lucrative – if you’re clever enough to find the best route. The game board is a map of the United States with train routes marked out. Watch your progress across the country with brightly colored plastic train pieces. This is one of the most popular family games of all time and is recommended for ages 8 and older.
Blue Orange Games Photosynthesis Strategy Board Game
$36.30 in stock
3 used from $ 33.76
- The green strategy board game!
- Plant and shape the ever-changing forest as you cultivate your seeds and your strategy
- Take your trees through their life-cycle, from seedling to full Bloom to rebirth, and earn points as their leaves collect energy from the revolving sun's rays
- Carefully pick where you Sow and when you grow, as trees in the Shadows are blocked from light, and from points
- 2 to 4 players. Ages 8 and up
Save the planet with forest management in Photosynthesis. Cultivate forests from seedlings to full-grown trees that soak up the earth’s rays and earn you points. Be careful of where you plant, because certain conditions can stunt the growth of your trees. With 3D tree pieces, it’s satisfying to watch your forest grow as you care for it. This strategy game is appropriate for ages 8 and older.
Calliope Tsuro - The Game of The Path - A Family Strategy Board Game
$24.00 in stock
1 used from $ 23.52
- Calliope Presents: An award winning game that is fun for any experience level, easy to learn & quick to play. Use strategy & luck to stay on the path to victory in this light & entertaining game
- Family Strategy Game: The board changes every time you play the game, making it unique and fun for adults and kids. Players are challenged to create and travel the Path as it builds before them
- Never the Same Game Twice: The Path is an ever-changing mystery. With each turn, the maze grows and you must anticipate other players' next moves. The wisest player will remain on their Path
- Come Together and Play: Sure to become a classic, this game is perfect for families, teens, adults & children. The faster play and simple rules make it a great filler for parties & game night
- Details: Tsuro is a family game for 2-8 players ages 8 and up. Have fun creating your Path in this visually stunning game. Includes 35 Path Tiles, 1 Dragon Tile, 8 Dragon Pawns, and Game Board
Tsuro: The Game of the Path transports you to a land of dragons. Each player is a dragon trying to force all others off the game board as you forge your path. The last dragon standing wins. It’s a game of strategy where every player fights for himself or herself. The beautifully designed game board and tokens enhance the fantasy element. This game is recommended for ages 8 and older.
Unstable Unicorns Base Game
$19.95 in stock
2 used from $ 19.50
- A strategic card game that will destroy your friendships...but in a good way.
- One of kickstarter's top 50 most backed projects of all time!
- Ages 14+ , 30-45 minutes playtime
- 2-8 players
- Build a unicorn Army. Betray your friends. Unicorns are your friends now.
Build an army of unicorns and take down your friends in the process. In Unstable Unicorns there can only be one winner. This strategy card game is one of the most popular Kickstarter campaigns in the last several years. Once you get the hang of it, pick up some of the expansion packs for even more fun. These unicorns are not as fluffy and kid friendly as others and the game is recommended for ages 14 and older.